If there’s a musty mold smell sometimes in your home, it’s important to investigate the cause and do something about it. It most often comes from basements, attics, crawlspaces, or other areas that lack proper ventilation and humidity control.

Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. They spread and reproduce by making spores. It is during that growth and reproduction that mold produces gasses called microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOC).

While many of these gasses are odorless, some have a musty odor, a sign that you need to take action.

Why? Some of those compounds are poisonous mycotoxins that can cause a wide range of medical problems such as difficulty breathing, migraines, sinus infections, sore throats, bronchitis, pneumonia, joint pain and inflammation, digestive problems, even depression and exhaustion.

Don’t just mask the smell - get rid of it

The only way to get rid of the mold smell is to remove the mold. Then take preventative measures to ensure it doesn’t return

Air fresheners, scented candles, disinfectant sprays, and household cleaning products may temporarily cover up the smell but they don’t solve the problem. In fact, they only prolong your exposure to harmful indoor air that can compromise your health and the health of your family.

If you are concerned about the level of mold in your home, you can hire a professional mold expert who will come to your property and assess the situation. They offer a number of services including inspecting, testing and remediation. They can measure your indoor air quality and identify the presence of pollutants like mold, asbestos and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).

How Humidex provides a long-term solution

Proper humidity control and ventilation throughout your home is the best long term solution.

A Humidex unit ensures you have good air quality that not only protects your home's structure, your furniture and your clothing, it ultimately protects you and your family’s health.

Properly installed, your Humidex unit can make previously unused spaces in your home more livable, ultimately preserving and even improving the investment value.

If you smell mold in your home, why not start exploring the cause today? You’ll see how rewarding it is to get rid of that smell and enjoy all the benefits of better air quality indoors.