According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency," the potential impact of indoor air quality on human health nationally can be considerable for several reasons”:



1. Americans, on average, spend approximately 90 percent of their time indoors, where the concentrations of some pollutants are often 2 to 5 times higher than typical outdoor concentrations.

2. People who are often most susceptible to the adverse effects of pollution (e.g., the very young, older adults, people with cardiovascular or respiratory disease) tend to spend even more time indoors.

3. Indoor concentrations of some pollutants have increased in recent decades due to such factors as energy-efficient building construction (when it lacks sufficient mechanical ventilation to ensure adequate air exchange) and increased use of synthetic building materials, furnishings, personal care products, pesticides, and household cleaners.

The EPA lists the sources of typical pollutants that people should be aware of including substances of natural origin such as radon, pet dander, and mold.


How dampness and mold impacts health


The EPA explains that while dampness and mold are not the same, dampness in homes or buildings creates the environment for mold spores to grow. Being exposed to mold can trigger allergic reactions and asthma symptoms in people who are allergic to mold. They say with or without allergies, you may experience irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs when exposed to airborne mold particles.

The EPA also notes that dampness itself can cause harm even when mold is not present saying that “excessive moisture also promotes the growth of common indoor pollutants like dust mites, cockroaches, bacteria and viruses which can impact health.” They say dampness indoors causes asthma attacks and other upper and lower respiratory problems.

The EPA lists conditions that have been linked to dampness and mold, including:
  • Worsening of asthma
  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sore throat
  • Sneezing
  • Rhinitis.

The EPA also mentions that an uncommon disease known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis has been associated with exposure to indoor mold in people who have weakened immune systems. This disease creates flu-like symptoms that may recur.


Humidex takes care of the causes

Signs of dampness include moldy odors, visible moisture like wet surfaces or condensation around windows, leaks from plumbing, pipes, or cracks in the walls, or simply high humidity.

Taking care of these problems is an important step towards improving indoor air quality and ultimately ensuring you are breathing better air throughout your home.

Humidex offers a long term solution. Once you’ve had your Humidex unit properly installed, it starts the process of controlling the moisture, ventilating and expelling stagnant air. Soon you will notice the disappearance of the musty smell and condensation on windows disappearing.

If the air was affecting you or your family’s health, you should notice the symptoms dissipating. We spend so much time at home, why not feel your best when you are there?