The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) a professional organization of medical specialists with a special interest in the research and treatment of allergic and immunologic diseases, recognizes that millions of people suffer year-round from allergy symptoms caused by indoor allergens, noting that culprits include dust mite droppings, animal dander, cockroach droppings and molds. When we have an allergic reaction to these, symptoms include sneezing, stuffiness, a runny nose, or itchiness in your nose, the roof of your mouth, throat, eyes or ears.


The AAAAI says if these symptoms occur year-round, the condition is called perennial allergic rhinitis. They also note that, allergens can trigger asthma flare ups in people with allergic asthma.

With the help of an allergist / immunologist, you can learn what allergens cause your symptoms. They say that avoiding allergens is the most effective treatment approach, but of course, strict avoidance isn’t always possible or practical. Take, for instance, indoor molds.


What to do if you are allergic to molds

Here are some changes the AAAAI suggest that can help get rid of indoor molds to help you feel better. Recognizing that indoor molds and mildew need dampness and are typically found in basements, bathrooms or anywhere with leaks the AAAAI recommends:

  • Get rid of mold growth on hard surfaces with water, detergent and, if necessary, 5% bleach (do not mix with other cleaners). Then dry the area completely.
  • If mold covers an area more than 10 square feet, consider hiring an indoor environmental professional.
  • For clothing, washing with soap and water is best.
  • If moldy items cannot be cleaned and dried, throw them away.
  • Repair and seal leaking roofs or pipes.
  • Using dehumidifiers in damp basements may be helpful, but empty the water and clean units regularly to prevent mildew from forming.
  • All rooms, especially basements, bathrooms and kitchens, require ventilation and cleaning to deter mold and mildew growth.
  • Avoid carpeting on concrete or damp floors, and storing items in damp areas.

How Humidex helps with allergy and asthma relief


A Humidex unit not only controls the moisture that helps damaging indoor molds reproduce and grow, it also expels stagnant air and replenishes your home with fresh cleaner air.

The energy efficient Humidex units cost less than $5 a month in electricity compared to a dehumidifier that costs 10x that amount per month and doesn’t even ventilate the bad air to the outdoors.

So if you are allergic to molds or other indoor air pollutants, you can breathe easier 365 days a year.